Sunday, January 16, 2011

Musée Des Beaux Arts

Sundays are very special in France. Nothing is open, it is a day to be spent with family, doing things around the house, studying and readying for class, or if your a tourist going to Museums. Museums are the only things open on Sunday, so that's what we decided to do today.

After getting up around 11am I showered and headed out to meet some friends. On my way down through Vieux Lyon and headed toward Place Bellecour I ran into an old book market. I was amazing... booths and booths of vintage French books. I have always been obsessed with libraries and old books so I probably could have spent hours there. Some interesting books I saw were a "Housewife's Handbook", in French from the early 1900s, a beautiful French Little Mermaid, and an early edition of Victor Hugo's Les Miserables (which had been printed in 4 seperate books). I ended up setting for today on Harry Potter à L'École de Sorciers.

Next we walked on to the Musée des Beax Arts. A famous Art Museum in Lyon that in my opinion was really just a smaller, but equally fascinating collection compared to the Louvre in Paris. I really enjoyed everything that I saw. What I find the most interesting thing about European Art Museums compared to ones in the US, is that the museums are always housed in real Palaces... where people used to live... its almost unreal when you spend time looking at the detail of the rooms, staircases, and ceilings.

Here are some great photos from Musée des Beax Arts: http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g378/Avery_Mayne/Musee%20des%20Beaux%20Arts%20de%20Lyon/?albumview=slideshow

I finished off the day with a well deserved snack of la glace (ice cream) and a crepe with Miss Amanda Summons from Melbourne and a live stream of Da Bears!!!

1 comment: