Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Introduction Day

While I have really enjoyed the last two days of exploring and getting my bearings in Lyon... Today I was really ready for classes to start!
I knew the day was going to be excellent when Sophie, my host sister, who is 9 years old, asked me to help her with her french homework... and I both could understand it and help her with it!
Then I arrived at Université Jean Moulin 3 to find that I was walking into a room with 100 English speaking students! One could only imagine my relief after two days of nothing but French! I immediately was welcomed by five Austrailian girls who were living together in a hostel until they find an apartment to their liking...
I was surprised to find out though that the SELF (Studying in English in Lyon, France) was meant for students who speak absolutely no french whatsoever... and there are plenty of students who speak no french at all. I'm pretty sure that I am one of the better French students in the program. It was an awesome day! I met a ton of people who I'm sure I'll be friends with and plans were already made for this weekend! I think that everyone here has the same ideas about European social life as I do!
After class I accompanied Kallie (a fellow Mizzou student) and two other girls from our class to Carrefour, the French version of Walmart. It was interesting to hear about their living arrangements, but I am still so glad I chose to live with a family. I don't have to worry about bed sheets, pots and pans, internet and other things like that!
Lastly, every single on campus organization, and even the university sponsors ski outings! Ohhhhh man I'm so freaking excited!
Tomorrow starts our two week crash course in French Culture!

No comments:

Post a Comment