This week my big goal was to be a lot more social with my family. Last week I was still getting comfortable in Lyon, trying to figure out the Dumont family's daily schedule and how other things worked in their lives, and I was still getting all of my things sorted out. This week was a great week in terms of being more social and comfortable speaking with my family. I made sure that I spent a lot more time out of my room and integrating myself into my host family's life. First off I started spending time in the living room. Because I didn't have any homework this week I read the newspaper everyday (which took at least an hour, its in French) at the table where Marie, Sophie, and Laure did their homework. This has been excellent! The girls talk to me all the time, and are so willing to explain things to me. Also I think it has shown that I really want to be apart of the family. Mme. Dumont has begun to invite me places, like shopping and swimming, when she goes out with the girls!
Another exciting thing to happen this week was I finally was able to move into my own room. While I was completely fine staying in Marie's room I could tell she was getting antsy to get out of her sisters' room and wanted her own space back. This also allowed me to unpack all of my things so I'm not limited to the same four things anymore... for anyone that knows me well knows it is literally impossible for me wear the same thing that often.
This week also marked the second and last week of integration week for the SELF students. We had a lecture everyday for a few hours, by American Dr. Fodor, to continue our learning of French Culture and Civilization. This course has been pretty enlightening... especially the day I learned how American I really am... We finished the course Friday with a short and sweet exam. Through this class I've found a great group of friends and have developed a great social life here in Lyon! I'm basically enjoying the best of both worlds right now: living completely immersed in French life with a family and having the opportunity to continue my American college social life with my friends!
Here's a photo album from this week: http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g378/Avery_Mayne/?albumview=slideshow
No comments:
Post a Comment