Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Swim Practice!

After trying three times to swim with Lyon 3... The coach finally showed up!

This was a miracle! The last three times I tried to swim with the University the coach has been "sick" and it was starting to get really annoying because the pool is way to far away to just go and turn back around.

But it was so great to swim today! Just walked in and handed Martine my card and she told me to go workout. She speaks no english, but it's amazing, I've been a swimmer my whole life, and even though the names for the strokes and events are different, the way one trains is different, the same goal of getting a good work out and the same love of the water is universal.

Next after warm-up we were instructed to hop out because we were going to have a time trial. Okay, rien special for me! I get put into a group of two other French girls and the first thing we have to do is decide who is going to go first... well I'm already the odd one out, everyone knows I'm not french, and as long as you all explain to me what I'm doing I'll go first. Awesome~ I get up on the block and its me and the two boys. Naturally the one kicked my ass, but the other finished way behind me. I look up at my group and they can't believe my time, ladies, I've been swimming my whole life and the 4nage (100 IM) is my favorite event!

As I'm getting out after my time trial, the guy who had just swam like Michael Phelps looks at me and says "Ce n'est pas vrai, Ce n'est pas vrai" (It's not true, It's not true)... I was like umm do I know you or something... what is the matter. He recognized my swim cap! HE RECOGNIZED MY ETHS WATERPOLO CAP! I was baffled, he knew where Evanston, Il was? Yes, he certainly did. He had lived in Wilmette and attended the French Alliance High School when he lived in the states! Then he invited me to come and play water polo with him and some other students tomorrow! It's been three years, but maybe its time to play polo again!

No comments:

Post a Comment