Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Day Trippin'

While Lyon is absolutely amazing, there is lots to visit in the surrounding areas. Last week I got to take advantage of that!
Thursday I headed off with the lovely Megan Wood, Amanda Summons, Monty Cox, and Jens Garret to Viennes. Vienne is about 30 minutes outside of Lyon. It has a ton a history and has been more important to the area for a greater amount of time than Lyon. There are lots of Roman Ruins to visit (and its not overwhelmingly touristy like Roma), and the most amazing church I have ever visited, St. Maurice. I said that and Amanda commented on how much that really means (while in Italy I'm pretty sure I visited like 100 churches). Not only is it massive, but the amount of artwork and symbolism within it really makes it almost equal to St. Peter's.
Next we walked over to the Musée Gallo Roman. This museum has two parts, the outside which is the old Roman city/baths. It is pretty much destroyed and all that remains are the foundations, but the audio guide really gives a great description of what was once there. Inside the museum are some of the most beautiful mosiacs I have ever seen! They have all been dug up from the ruins outside, but are preserved remarkably well!
Lastly Amanda and I, and later Megan climbed up the hill to St. Pierre's to see the amazing views of the region and get a fantastic view down at the Roman Amphitheater.
I think the most amazing thing about Vienne is its atmosphere. Lyon is great because a young person really feels at home here. There are lots of students and universities so it attracts a ton of 20-30 somethings. On the other hand Vienne is more family oriented. There were lots of older french people, but one could also tell by the shops and such that there are lots of families who live there too. It had a much more classic and laid back french vibe to it.

Vienne Pics:
http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g378/Avery_Mayne/Vienne/?albumview=slideshow

Saturday I jetted off to Pérouges. Pérouges is an extremely well kept Medieval city. I was very lucky to get some tips before going because the Dumonts know the area well, Mme. Dumont's mom lives there. Pérouges is a charming city that feels like Williamsburg, VA, meaning its a city that has seen its heyday, but someone felt it was important to preserve it and make it available to later generations.

Pérouges is know for its Galette de Pérouges, a special cheese and sugar cake, that is only made in Pérouges. As Mr. Dumont put it, one can buy it at any patisserie in Pérouges, and don't worry about looking too hard, the patisseries are like McDonald's there! I enjoyed one too many pieces there!
A shining moment in Pérouges was having enough balls to enter into the most expensive, but most famous restaurant there and asking the host, in French, if it was okay to 1. enter, 2. just have a coffee and take pictures inside. Answer: Yes, we are not only a restaurant, but also a Salon du Thé, but tourists are often to nervous to ask! Well perfect! We went in enjoyed our Galette with a cider, befriended the host, and had a lovely little afternoon snack!
After a few day trips its been decided that this is a great way to spend our freetime (which we seem to have a little too much of). 1. Day trips are cheap, and 2. you feel like you have actually done something productive with your day!

It also helps to come home to three little french puces (little darlings, a french term of endearment for children) who are too excited that you brought them home their favorite galette!

Pérouges Pics:
http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g378/Avery_Mayne/Perouges/?albumview=slideshow

No comments:

Post a Comment