Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Montpellier


Coming home from Spain I decided to get off the bus before Lyon and stop off in Montpellier for a day trip. Montpellier is a city that is a bit unique to me because it is the home of a French student my family hosted when I was in high school. While unfortunately I have not kept in touch with her, I wanted to see where she lived and visit for myself the city she had talked so much about.

I was so glad I did. The city is half the size, but doesn't lack in charm. Its got lots of winding streets filled with amazing shops. I wish that we had visited during the sales... I would have done all of my shopping there! It is also a very lively and happening city with lots of families, young couples, charming squares filled with cafés, just a very typical French city. I absolutely loved it!

When I arrived I first headed to the Place de la Comédie for breakfast in a local café. Place de la Comédie is the center of town. Its a huge square lined with cafés, a large market, the tourism office, and the opera.

Next I moved on to see Antigone. Antigone is a new neighborhood that Montpellier developed to give the city a bit of a more modern edge. The area is nice, but for my taste its a bit to... American for France...


Then I walked up to the Arc de Triomphe, Promenade de Peyrou, and the Jardin des Plantes. The Arc de Triomphe is a smaller-scaled version of Paris's but behind it the Promende de Peyrou is magnificant. This old grand boulevard used to be the center of the Roman city it leads to a very impressive aqueduct. I've seen them before, but this one is probably the longest one I've ever seen! I headed to the Jardins next. I would have loved to have spent more time in them, but unfortunately France does not believe in public lockers (you know because of all the terrorists in the train stations...) I had to have my luggage with me all day.

In the afternoon I visited the Cathédrale St. Pierre. The outside of it is incredible. It has these huge towers in the front of the building and they are literally massive! Next door is France's most elite and oldest medical school.

My last stop was the eglise St. Roch. St. Roch is the patron saint of Montpellier and I felt it was a good way to end the day by visiting his church. Stopped for some frozen yogurt and then trained back to good old Lyon.

Being back in Montpellier for the day was like heaven after being in Spain where I literally understood nothing. It also made me realize how much French I understand and how confident I am in using it. Then returning to Lyon was really when I realized how much I love this city. The weather was beautiful, my host family wasn't here so I got to do a bit of cooking for myself with food I bought at the markets! Lyon is glorious when the weather is beautiful... it's making me fall completely in love with la vie française!

No comments:

Post a Comment